Thursday, January 14, 2016

Bathroom Countertop Tray


Hey Friends! I seriously miss you all when I haven't gotten to post! We are finally almost all feeling better at my house. Wahoo! You all know what that means, right? More projects! Yay!

Today's project is actually one that I finished a couple months ago and has been working hard for us ever since! I'm not sure about you, but our bathroom counters tend to get cluttered really quickly. Hair ties, jewelry, hair products I haven't put away yet... You name it, it gets left out on the counter in a rush. I had to stop the madness and get some sort of organization going on!


I've had two little glass vases full of Q-tips and cotton balls out on our counters for years and love them. I think that was literally the very first idea I saw on Pinterest and copied! I wanted to keep those vases, but add a tray to ground them and give me space to set my jewelry and a bottle or two of frequently used products.

I was planning to DIY a little tray, but ended up finding an unfinished wood tray at Michael's for only a couple dollars after using a coupon. Score! I filled any rough spots and wood grain, then sanded it down nice and smooth.


After I got it all prepped, I gave it a couple coats of gray spray paint. Clearly, I'm not a good photographer while spray painting. That, or I really wanted to show you my hand. #notahandmodel


Now comes the blogger fail... I took a picture of the next step, but it has vanished! I can't find it anywhere. Thankfully, it's pretty self explanatory. I cut a piece of gray and white striped wrapping paper to fit the bottom of the tray, brushed some Mod Podge to the bottom of the tray, then working from one side to the other, gently laid the paper down, scoring it with a credit card along the way to get any air bubbles out. After the paper was completely down, I brushed a layer of Mod Podge to the top of the paper to give it a water resistant seal.


To further finish off my tray, I attached two decorative handles to the sides. I knew that I wouldn't be moving the tray except to clean, so I took the easy, lazy way out and glued the handles on. #rulebreaker  If you attach yours the normal, correct way so you can actually use the handles, be sure to sink your screws so that the tray lays flat on the counter.


I love that I have a designated dish for my jewelry when I'm in the shower and having the cotton balls and Q-tips out is super handy! It's also a great spot to leave my facial moisturizer out without it looking messy. Of course, nothing will help my continual cycle of finding a forgotten bobby pin in my hair while shampooing and trying to throw it over the shower wall and make it onto the counter. It always lands in the sink. Ha! Some people never learn...


What are your bathroom organizational tricks and tips?

Product Sources: 
Tray- Michaels
Handles- Lowes
Wrapping Paper- Home Goods
Square Vases- Walmart circa 2009
Jewelry Dish- World Market (only $1.99!)
Flowers- TJ Maxx

Linking up with Savvy Southern StyleRemodelaholic, and many other awesome blogs!

38 comments:

  1. Super cute! Thank you for sharing :)

    www.glitteryourdash.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing! And oh so handy to round up all those little bathroom essentials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! Love the paint color and especially the chrome handles. Visiting from the Creativity Unleashed party. Pinned to share :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the handles really helped amp it up a notch!

      Delete
  4. I love the tray, this is my favourite colour. It looks so fresh in the bathroom with all the bits and bobs on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just discovered this shade of gray spray paint and am in love!

      Delete
    2. What is the spray paint and color?

      Delete
    3. It's Rust-Oleum Gloss Spray Paint in Winter Gray from Home Depot. Here's the link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-2X-12-oz-Gloss-Winter-Gray-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-249089/100670423

      Delete
  5. love the tray. and totally love the milk glass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I love the color you chose. I can't stand counter top clutter, so we use a metal basket. It's amazing how well just one storage/display item can make us feel organized! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel so my tips would be simplify! I love this tray and the milk glass is fantastic! I can't stand clutter at all so I had these cabinets that I removed the doors from painted and framed with molding, all in white. This is where all the clutter went, leaving open counter tops.

    Carole @ Garden Up Green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it is going to look amazing when it's all done! Yes, simplify is a must. I finally got rid of every single forgotten hair accessory, bottle of half used products that I haven't touched in a while, and old makeup. Feels so good!

      Delete
    2. I bet it is going to look amazing when it's all done! Yes, simplify is a must. I finally got rid of every single forgotten hair accessory, bottle of half used products that I haven't touched in a while, and old makeup. Feels so good!

      Delete
  8. This is gorgeous! Love the color!

    I am wandering over from Work it Wednesdays. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words and for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. The handles make it look so polished and pretty. Now I want to go to michael's and see if I can find one for myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They seemed to be a regularly stocked item, not a seasonal thing, so hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on one, too!

      Delete
  10. Looks amazing! I'll have to diy my own bathroom tray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!!! Such an elegant project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful!! I love how it turned out, and the color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! I need one for my bathroom! On my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great little project, wonderful color combo the handles really set it off, and I love that hobnail vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I lvoe that vase, too! I know it's totally impractical, but makes me smile! :)

      Delete
  15. The tray is beautiful! Looks so professional. I just made one (actually painted an old one) for my granddaughter. I gave my daughter one for Christmas and my granddaughter said, "Nanny, you should make me one like Mama's." Well, hers is very different but I put on it what she asked for! The color paint on yours is very soothing and the handles look very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love having a tray on the bathroom counters, and yours is super-cute.....really like the handles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That tray is really nice, Samantha. The gray paint is perfect and the chrome handles pop. Everything looks so neat and tidy sitting in the tray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Funny how much of a difference handles makes, right?!

      Delete
  18. Love those handles. Where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...