Monday, October 6, 2014

Spruced Up Fall Front Porch

For Day Six of the 31 Day Challenge, I gave our front porch a touch of fall. I didn't do anything elaborate, just my typical fall touches...a wreath, mums, and pumpkins. Simple, just the way I like it!

I decided to reuse my wreath from last year. Unfortunately, the bow yellowed really bad in the attic and was looking all smashed and sad. Whomp whomp. I should have put the bow in a space bag, huh?

I ditched the bow and made a new one with some striped burlap ribbon I found for 50% off at Michael's. I love how it turned out!

I like to get a couple large pumpkins for the porch, but because Little Man had a field trip to the pumpkin farm in addition to our yearly family tradition to go to the pumpkin patch, we will end up with a bunch! These little ones are from his field trip. We're hoping to get larger ones when we go to the pumpkin patch as a family!

My mums die every single year, no matter how much I baby them. As I was looking at everyone else's mums last year and wondering what magical thing they were doing to keep them alive, I noticed that the yellow mums consistently looked the healthiest compared to the other colors. I usually go for the burgundy or dark pinkish/purple mums, but I decided to give my yellow mum theory a try this year to see if I'll have better luck. I also usually buy my mums in late August or early September, but I resisted the urge this year and waited until the weather was consistently cooling off. We shall see... They are just starting to bloom!
Do you decorate your porch for fall? Do you go all out or just do a few fall touches? Any tips on keeping mums alive? I sure could use them! :)

1 comment:

  1. Ooh I love your front porch!! And the color of your front door is beautiful :) I looove decorating for fall, but October has been so full this year, I am having to wait until November. I don't have a front porch, but this is our first time having any sort of yard - I'm excited! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...